Dayton Canoe Club ® 1020 Riverside Drive, Dayton, OH 45405
The Dayton Canoe Club is a private membership club and one of only two active clubhouses in its original 1913 Prairie Style building, existing in the United States.
During the late 1800's to the 1930's, canoe clubs were a common form of recreation in river front city's like Dayton, Ohio. The Dayton Canoe Club remains much as it was in 1913.
Canoeing was an especially popular pastime. In the early days, pillow-lined and Victrola-laden canoes offered romantic interludes before the day of the automobile, and canoe competitions attracted large and enthusiastic crowds. At one time, five canoe clubs dotted the banks of the Great Miami and Stillwater Rivers. The last of these was the Dayton Canoe Club.
Black and White Photgraphs courtesy of Robert Hock.